Saturday 7 June 2014

Wedding/Anniversary challenge

Traditionally, June has always been the most popular month for couples to get married, although it seems nowadays that trend is changing to July and August, but do you know why it used do be June?,  ... no? well let me tell you - firstly, the month of June derives it's name from Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage, so in ancient times it was thought that couples who married in June would be blessed with prosperity and happiness, there was also more practical reasons why June was the chosen month, brides married in June were likely to give birth to a first child in Spring (also thought to bring good luck) and recover in time for the autumn harvest!!! and during medieval times a person's annual bath usually fell in May or June, meaning that June brides still smelled relatively fresh on their wedding day LOL!

If you do happen to be making cards for a June wedding or wedding anniversary then we would love you to play along with this month's challenge over at Paper Creator as our theme is...


You don't have to use Paper Creator products to play along, but if you do you get a second entry into the draw. The lucky winner gets £10 to spend in store on Paper Creator goodies.

As I don't know anyone who is getting a bath this month (hehe!) I have made an anniversary card, using a 6x6 quick card kit, I printed out the topper a second time and using some purple card from my stash made a matching wine bottle tag. I also added a scalloped border behind the sentiment using the same card.


Purple and lilac card and buttons - stash,
Sizzix embossing folder - came free with Big Shot
Die-namics Rustic hearts
Cottage Cutz - Heart doily
Ribbon and gems - Meiflower

I had printed out the matching envelope and was just about to start cutting it out when I suddenly thought to myself - oh piddily-pooh!!! (not my exact words but clean enough for the blog hehe!) I realised that as I had arranged the doily heart over the top and side of my card it would no longer fit in the envelope, but being a typical crafter, who hates to waste anything, I came up with a cunning plan - I punched a couple of scalloped borders and then cut them to size and added an extension to the bottom of the envelope front and the top of the envelope back (luckily the width was  just about OK if I put the card in the envelope very carefully).


You can just see a little of the 'extension' showing at the bottom of the envelope on this picture, and I even embellished it to match the tag.

Don't forget to pop over to the challenge blog and check out the fabulous inspiration from the rest of my teamies.

Thanks for dropping in, 
Have a lovely weekend,
hugs,
Colette xx



4 comments:

Nannieflash said...

Hi Colette, what a fabulous Anniversary card and project, Ive got to be honest I find designing cards for this theme quite difficult but youve done a brilliant job and I love the colour choice to. hugs Shirleyxxxx

Karen said...

Hi Coogle, thanks for the info re: June weddings - loved it really made me smile!
As for your projects, love the card and image and colour scheme - fab! xx

cotnob said...

This is a fabulous Anniversary card and tag Colette, well done extending the envelope - the little heart embellishments are perfect.
Pauline
x

Rosietoes said...

Lovely card and bottle tag Colette. Like the way you have extended the envelope - must remember that one! x