Thursday 19 December 2013

Boy with Gifts

This will be my last "proper" post before Christmas, although I have added a few scheduled posts as I have so many Christmas cards made that I haven't yet blogged, and I wanted to showcase at least a few of them.

There is a lot going on here at the moment, my Father in law is very ill now, and the Macmillan nurses who are looking after him have told us they think that he has at most a couple of weeks left, but more probably only a couple of days, so you can imagine how awful each and every day is for the family.
They are all spending as much time as possible with their dad, my hubby is at work during the day (luckily he works only 10 minutes away from home so can get to his dad's quickly if needed) so is going around each evening and his two sisters are there for most of the day.
My daughter Meg, who idolises her grandad, is heartbroken that she can't visit him to say goodbye, but with George being upstairs in bed and Meg being totally reliant on a wheelchair and because of her condition not even able to be carried up the stairs, it's not an option. She can't even speak to him on the telephone as he can barely talk and doesn't know who you are even when he does.
It's probably very selfish of me, but I am glad that she can't see him this way as I don't want her last memories of her grandad to be of the way he is now, - it was only a couple of weeks ago that she was at their house having her Sunday dinner with Grandma and Grandad (she normally goes every other Sunday), Grandad was up sitting in his chair and still quite well at this point and I would prefer her to remember him like that.

OK enough of the doom and gloom, that's not what you came here for, today I have a couple of cards to show you made with exactly the same image, papers and embellishments, but just laid out differently.

I design my cards in Photoshop, bringing in the papers, cropping them to size and then laying them out exactly as I want them to be on the finished card, once happy with the design I arrange the papers and image on an A4 sheet of paper (depending on the design sometimes I need a couple of sheets), print, cut and put together, adding any embellishments as I go along.
For this particular card everything fitted on one A4 sheet, but when I was printing out the design there was a problem with the printer and I ended up with a smudge of ink where there shouldn't have been any, so I re-printed the sheet, which came out perfectly the second time.
It seemed a shame to waste a sheet of printing so I decided I would find a way of getting around the smudge and make two cards.

The first version of the card is made from the perfect print, and is laid out exactly as originally planned.


Image - Boy with presents digi - Lee Holland Etsy Store - Coloured in Photoshop
Papers - Jolly Days Digital Scrap kit - Just So Scrappy
Circle Sentiment - made by me
Marianne Craftables die - CR1212 Ticket and Tags
Tonic geared punch - Diamond Scalloped border
Ribbon, metallic cord, stick on pearls and green jingle bells - Meiflower

This second card was made with the reject print - the ink smudge was close to the image so I decided to cut around the image leaving a narrow border - that way I could still use the image but get rid of the smudge. I cut out the papers and played around with them until I was happy with the layout and then made up the card, substituting Kraft card for the red I'd used previously.


All details same as above.

There will be a few more scheduled posts up until Christmas, but depending on how things go I am not sure when I will be back after that, so I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all
A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
and to anyone out there who is going through the same sort of thing as we are here, I would like to leave you with these words from one of my all time favourite Eagle's songs.

I wish you peace when the cold winds blow 
Warmed by the fire's glow 
I wish you comfort in the lonely time 
And arms to hold you when you ache inside 

I wish you hope when things are bad 
Kind words when times are sad 
I wish you shelter from the raging wind 
Cooling waters at the fever's end 

I wish you peace when times are hard 
The light to guide you through the dark 
And when storms are high and your dreams are low 
I wish you the strength to let love grow, 
I wish you the strength to let love flow, 

I wish you peace when times are hard 
A light to guide you through the dark 
And when storms are high and your dreams are low 
I wish you the strength to let love grow.

Hugs,
Colette xx

1 comment:

Anne said...

So sorry to hear about your Father in law Colette keep strong x